Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Black and White Photography

Lately I have been on a black and white photography kick. Call it looking for one more way for the humanities major to starve.



Anyway, I'm going to start posting pictures that I take and talking a little bit about them. Enjoy!


This picture is if my church. I'm not exactly sure what I was going for. I'm am interested in architecture, I love the play of design, flow of edge, and the manipulation of light and shadow.

If it hadn't been for the fence Fr. John had built around the front, this shot wouldn't have been so far back. I wanted to be closer, but then only the tips of the globes and the crosses would have been visible.

One thing I did aim for though was a sense of power. I read somewhere that when you shoot up at something that gives it power where shooting down removes that power. Whomever said that was right. I feel...cathedral-esk inferiority when I look at this picture.

1 comment:

chanel said...

It's amazing how taking out the color changes an image. If I hadn't known what church it was, I might not have recognized it. And I certainly agree that this angle is powerful!