Thursday, July 31, 2008

Photography Experiments


Another post about my attempts at black and white photography.

I learned something today: I finally got around to developing the 6 rolls of film I took while visiting my college and watching friends graduate.

When I looked at them on the computer however, I was upset to see that nearly every shot I had taken indoors was grainy. Not blurry, grainy.

I asked my nearly all knowing Uncle Arthur why, and he said it had something to do with the speed of film I bought. The faster the speed, the larger (or was it smaller?) the crystals in the film at that "melt" when hit by light.

If I bought a high speed film (which I did thinking it would be better), indoor shots would be grainy because the shot was exposed to less light. Huh.

But back to the picture above: I love architecture, and this is, I think, one of the most interesting buildings in Salt Lake. This is our public library. I took this shot wanting to capture the play of reflection on the glass. I think I did an okay job. I wish the background were less busy (what with the billboard and the umbrellas), but all in all, I am rather happy with this picture.

Comments?

No comments: